Eye Testing in Newcastle – our General Clinic
When you book in for an eye test at our General Clinic at Custom Eyecare Newcastle, you will enjoy a comprehensive eye test and eye health examination using leading technology and advanced equipment.
Optometrists Heidi Hunter, Wes Butler and Rishmie Logendran have years of combined clinical experience and optometry expertise to deliver peace of mind. We offer continuity of clinical care as you will see the same optometrist today and in years to come.
You are given the time to ensure you experience a thorough consultation by friendly and highly qualified Optometrists using the latest equipment, along with our expert interpretation, explanation, and advice.
Our Optometrists are well respected members of the optometry profession, who regularly lecture to colleagues & other health professionals, supervise student optometrists on clinical placement training from universities, speak on ABC radio to eye related topics, and are invited members of consulting panels for various contact lens companies and professional boards. We work closely with other optometrists, eye surgeons, local GPs, school teachers and allied health professionals.
Our optometrists Heidi Hunter and Wes Butler pride themselves on their patient care. We check everyone for glaucoma and macular degeneration, not just people in older age groups or ‘at risk’ categories – by doing this we have detected treatable problems in people as young as teens, twenties & thirties.
Eye Testing Technology
Also we take use retinal imaging routinely for every patient (assuming you’re old enough to sit up at the camera), because often problems inside the eyes are only revealed with expert interpretation of your scans.
We have have the latest in technology for accurate diagnosis and monitoring of eye conditions including digital retinal photography, OCT scans, corneal topography and ocular biometry.
At the end of your eye test, if glasses (or contact lenses) are recommended for you, we’ll give you the right advice, customised for you. We will explain your options to best suit your needs, and when you are choosing your glasses our qualified optical dispensers are trained to give you the best vision solution possible.
Sometimes, the recommendation resulting from an eye examination is not an optical correction such as glasses or contacts, but other eyecare advice such as prescription eye drops, a change in habits or ergonomics, further specialised testing, or simply a plan to schedule a review appointment in the future.
Rest assured, our optometrists will be giving you genuine advice for your eyes, because we care.
Besides general eye examinations, Custom Eyecare’s eye testing services include the following –
- Behavioural Optometry also known as children’s vision or paediatric optometry, where we assess tracking, eye coordination and binocular function in children as vision is strongly linked to learning.
- Diagnosis and treatment of eye conditions such as conjunctivitis, red eye, dry eyes, allergy eyes. Our Optometrists are endorsed in prescribing medication eye drops as needed.
- Experienced in foreign body removal and eye injuries.
- Soft contact lens fitting including soft disposable and soft multifocals using the latest materials for all day comfort. We are experts in contact lens problem solving and offer careful instruction on contact lens handling, application and removal (also see instructional videos on our video page).
- Corneal topography for diagnosis of conditions such as keratoconus and pellucid marginal degeneration.
- Customised rigid contact lens fitting including RGP, limbal, scleral and hybrid contact lenses.
- Orthokeratology (ortho-K) overnight vision correction which allows you to see clearly during the day without any contacts or glasses for those wanting a safe, reversible alternative to laser surgery.
- Myopia assessments with axial ocular length measurements to carefully monitor progression of shortsightedness. Treatments for progression include atropine, myopia control spectacle lenses and soft contact lenses and custom designed orthokeratology overnight lenses.
- Advanced dry eye diagnosis, management and treatment using the latest clinic evidence including eyelid hygiene, steam treatments and gland expression.
- Diabetic eye examinations using wide field high definition imaging often without the need for dilating eye drops, including reporting back to your GP and team care arrangements.
- Glaucoma testing, diagnosis and reviews. Full investigation including computerised visual field (peripheral vision) examinations, OCT, corneal thickness, eye pressure.
- Referrals to ophthalmologists for medical eye treatment of serious conditions and eye surgery. We have good relationships with excellent local eye specialists and can make a recommendation based on your personal needs. We also receive many referrals from ophthalmologists, and frequently co-manage care.
- Workplace eye screenings as well as Occupational and ergonomic advice – such as for computer users, professional drivers etc.
- Colour vision testing, including Ishihara, C100, and Farnsworth D15 testing for occupation specific applications, with appropriate career advice.
- Driving assessments and RMS driver’s licence renewal form testing, including peripheral binocular visual field examinations.
- Laser surgery assessment and co-management. We work closely with local corneal eye surgeons.
Contact us to arrange your comprehensive eye test in Newcastle.