Eye Testing in Newcastle
If you’ve had your eyes tested elsewhere in Newcastle or the Hunter, your eye examination with Heidi Hunter, Wes Butler or Dom Willson at Custom EyeCare may be a little different to what you’re used to.
Firstly, we pride ourselves on caring about patients! We allow longer appointment schedules and will spend time doing a thorough examination of your eyes as well as a good discussion of the results and an opportunity for you to ask questions. It definitely helps that we don’t have a corporate head office or shareholders dictating the time we spend with you as we are completely independent.
We check everyone for glaucoma and macular degeneration, not just people in older age groups or ‘at risk’ categories – by doing this we have detected treatable problems in people as young as teens, twenties & thirties.
Also we take a retinal photograph routinely for every patient (assuming you’re old enough to sit up at the camera), because often problems inside the eyes are only revealed with expert interpretation of your image.
At the end of your examination, if glasses (or contact lenses) are recommended for you, we’ll give you the right advice, customised for you. We will explain your options to best suit your needs, and when you are choosing your glasses our qualified optical dispensers are trained to give you the best vision solution possible.
Sometimes, the recommendation resulting from an eye examination is not an optical correction such as glasses or contacts, but other eyecare advice such as prescription eye drops, a change in habits or ergonomics, further specialised testing, or simply a plan to schedule a review appointment in the future. Rest assured, our optometrists will be giving you genuine advice for your eyes, because we care.
Besides general eye examinations, Custom Eyecare’s eye testing services include the following specialisations –
- Behavioural Optometry
- Children’s vision (paediatric optometry)
- Screening for eye diseases including glaucoma, cataract and others
- Diagnosis and treatment of eye conditions such as conjunctivitis, red eye, dry eyes, allergy eyes, and many others.
- Prescribing of prescription (medicated) eye drops when necessary
- Diabetic eye examinations, including reporting back to your GP
- Digital retinal photography for eye disease detection & monitoring
- Computerised visual field (peripheral vision) examinations
- Referrals to ophthalmologists for medical eye treatment of serious conditions and eye surgery – we have good relationships with excellent local eye specialists and can make a recommendation based on your personal needs
- Workplace eye screenings
- Colour vision testing, including Ishihara, C100, and Farnsworth D15 testing
- Occupational and ergonomic advice – such as for computer users, professional drivers, etc
- Laser surgery assessment and co-management
- Corneal topography for diagnosis of conditions such as keratoconus, pellucid marginal degeneration & others, and also used in specialist custom contact lens fitting
- Contact lens fitting, including soft disposable, rigid (RGP), keratoconus, mini-sclerals, and orthokeratology lenses.
- Instruction in contact lens handling (see instructional videos on our video page)
- Contact lens problem solving
- Slit lamp biomicroscope photography – a detailed image of the “front” of your eye – ideal for viewing cataracts, dry eye, contact lens fitting, and many other conditions
- Orthokeratology (ortho-K) – overnight vision correction which allows you to see clearly during the day without any contacts or glasses! It’s especially great for kids, teenagers and young adults with worsening myopia (short-sightedness)
Contact us to arrange your comprehensive eye & vision check.