Last updated 20/10/2021
At Custom Eyecare we’ve been constantly adapting to keep everyone cared for, and safe. We will be regularly updating any changes here for your reference.
When NSW achieved 70% vaccination targets, Optometrists returned to full scope practice for anyone under 16 years, fully vaccinated adults and those with medical exemptions. For you that means routine eyecare and annual checkups are now allowed. Prior to the lifting of lockdown we were restricted to providing essential and time critical healthcare only, just like Dentists.
As per the new Public Health Order, any patients in need may be seen for essential eyecare and we have reorganised our clinic schedule accordingly. For unvaccinated adults, essential care includes concerns with your eyes, vision or glasses, or pre-existing eye conditions that require monitoring. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for assistance if you have any doubts as our team are fully trained to assess your symptoms. Adults who are not double-vaccinated can book an appointment for routine eyecare or annual checkups after December 1st.
Patients are required to show proof of vaccination to our friendly team upon entry. Our COVID safe hygiene will continue, and we are all fully vaccinated.
Some of our patients are overdue for their reminder SMS’s and we will be sending those out this week. Our apologies for the delay as we were being careful during the lockdown. We are looking forward to caring for everybody again and thank you for supporting our local business.
Our opening hours:
We are back open all weekdays. At this stage we are only open Saturdays by appointment.
To make an enquiry or appointment:
We have appointments available for eyecare and you can book online. For assistance phone 49270500 and speak with our friendly team, or make an enquiry through our website.
Ahead of your appointment:
Below you will find information on the changes to ensure safety for you when you visit, and also for our team. In line with the current NSW Public Health Orders, between now and the 1st December, our team will be enquiring about vaccination status on booking appointments as it will help us determine the appropriate clinic for you.
You will be asked some pre-screening questions;
- Have you had a fever, sore throat, cough or any flu-like symptoms, in the past 3 days?
- Are you isolating or been told to isolate?
- We ask that you please delay your appointment if you answer yes to any of the above
If you are a new patient to the practice, we will email you a link to our ‘New Patient’ form. It would be wonderful if you’d complete the online form ahead of your appointment. This assists us to have your patient file ready ahead of time. If you have been referred to us, please email the referral before the day of your appointment.
When visiting us, you will notice:
- QR Code for mandatory check-in
- We will also be checking vaccination status upon entry and only accepting valid forms of vaccination evidence, or medical exemption
- Our team will all be wearing masks and we require adults to please do the same. Masks must be worn at all times unless necessary to remove them during an exam
- Hand sanitiser stand units just inside the front door and as you enter our pretesting area. We also have complimentary hand sanitiser at the reception desk as we are very conscious of hygiene
- We are aiming to book everyone by appointment. This includes collecting your glasses and contact lenses, even minor repairs
- To maintain social distancing, we have changed our clinic schedule so there are less patients in the practice at a time
- We have also extended our consultation times to allow adequate space between patients
- We’ve reduced seating in waiting areas, removed the magazines from the waiting tables, and toys from the kids play area
We now offer additional services:
- We have set up an online store for contact lens orders, solutions and eyedrops. If you would like additional products added to our online store, please let us know your requests
- We can deliver your glasses, contact lenses, solutions, eyedrops to your car in our front carpark if you ring in advance
- Postage of glasses, contact lenses and solutions is a possibility
For more updates within the practice, please see our Facebook page as we are making every effort to keep you all informed and cared for https://www.facebook.com/CustomEyecareNewcastle
As a small business that is locally owned, we want to thank you for your support.